Posted by Steve Pietrek on April 20, 2009
Last weekend I presented at SharePoint Saturday in Atlanta. My talk was building custom timer jobs. Good turnout and questions. Thank you if you attended. I plan on writing more on the event in a separate post but I promised I would upload my deck. The link is below.
Custom Timer Job Presentation Link
Update 1: I am still in the process of uploading the code. I will update this post when that is complete.
Posted in SPConferences, SPDev, SPUserGroups | Comments Off
Posted by Steve Pietrek on April 16, 2009
I have been building out a POC for a future project. To expedite feedback, the client asked for us to record the end-user experience. One of the areas I wanted to focus on was the process of collaborating on documents. This includes:
- Content approval
- Major versions
- Require check out before editing
After setting these options in Actions > Document Library Settings > Versioning settings, I also wanted to demonstrate the process of checking out a document, editing the spreadsheet in Excel, checking the document back into SharePoint. The client is also interested in saving the files to the local drafts folder so work can be done offline. Easy enough. I then went through the following process:
- Opened the site
- For the desired file, selected “Edit in Microsoft Office Excel” from the ECB.
- Entered my credentials in Excel.
- Made desired changes to spreadsheet.
- Saved spreadsheet.
- Closed spreadsheet and was prompted to check the document in. Selected Yes.
- Entered a version comment and WHAM!!!, I received the following error.
Now this is confusing to me. I logged in as user1 into SharePoint and entered user1’s credentials into Excel when prompted. So it thinks it is checked out to someone else. Very interesting.
I proceeded to discard the checkout and try again but was met with the same error. I was testing the process in my VM (Windows Server 2008) so I switched over to my host (Windows 7) and ran through the same process (calling into my VM). It worked!!! So what is different?
- Operating systems are different. Duh.
- They are both running IE 8.
- The IE8 settings are the same.
- Could it be a service difference? Compared services and saw one difference. The Windows Server 2008 client had the WebClient service enabled and the Window 7 client did not. Hmmm. I disabled the service and ran through the process. It now works!!!!
A few notes:
- The reason I had the WebClient service enabled was issues I was seeing with Excel Services and not being able to publish from Excel. Sigh.
- I was running into an issue a few weeks ago where my SPD workflow would not start when an item was created or changed. I was using IE7 at the time and upgraded to IE8 and the problem went away. It did work in Firefox 3.0 and IE6 (through IETester). Not sure if it was related or now.
- I am still running into issues where if I don’t check the document in through Excel, when I attempt to check the document in through the SharePoint UI, I receive the error “This document was checked out to your local drafts folder but the local copy could not be checked in to the site.”. (see full error below)
Guess it’s the price you pay for developing in a Server OS.
Posted in SPErrors | Comments Off
Posted by Steve Pietrek on April 9, 2009
A quick reminder that the SharePoint Saturday Atlanta event is almost here! The free, all-day event will take place on 4/18 at the Microsoft Office on Sanctuary Pkwy in Alpharetta, GA.
Join SharePoint architects, developers, and other professionals that work with Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for ‘SharePoint Saturday’ event. SharePoint Saturday is an educational, informative & lively day filled with sessions from respected SharePoint professionals & MVPs, covering a wide variety of SharePoint-orientated topics. SharePoint Saturday is FREE, open to the public and is your local chance to immerse yourself in SharePoint!
This is an excellent opportunity to spend the day with SharePoint. If you are a SharePoint veteran or interested in exploring SharePoint, this is a perfect opportunity to learn more on SharePoint. There will be many sessions which cover all spectrums. Sessions are broken out by IT Pro, Developer, Architect, Designer, End-User, and Business. There will be many SharePoint MVPs and other SharePoint professionals speaking and in attendance. Come see why the SharePoint community is so incredible to work with.
The registration link is: https://www.clicktoattend.com/invitation.aspx?code=136991
Hope to see you there.
Posted in SPConferences, SPUserGroups | Comments Off
Posted by Steve Pietrek on April 3, 2009
Meridian Bioscience has a full-time SharePoint position open.
The Application Analyst position is an essential role in the development and maintenance of corporate information systems. This role will directly support the information systems within Meridian Bioscience Corporate Headquarters and assist in the support of the information systems within Meridian Life Science divisions. The analyst will provide/coordinate technical support of the design, development, installation, operation, modification, and maintenance activities of Meridian’s computerized information systems.
- Job search link
- Enter "SharePoint” for search word (without quotes)
- Click Search button
Posted in SPJobs | Comments Off
Posted by Steve Pietrek on April 2, 2009
SHAREPOINT DESIGNER 2007 IS NOW FREE! Be sure to watch the video in the "Related Resources" below to learn more about details and future direction. Office SharePoint Designer 2007 provides the powerful tools you need to deliver compelling and attractive SharePoint sites and quickly build workflow-enabled applications and reporting tools on the SharePoint platform, all in an IT-managed environment.
Posted in SPD | Comments Off